Monday, September 27, 2010

Food and Fits - What's a Dog Owner To Do??

As a dog owner, I feel I'm bombarded with information every day on what and what not to feed my dogs, as well as numerous ideas on how to train them to behave. I am having a hard enough time trying to decide what's healthy for my own self (Adkins diet, low fat, the cabbage diet, red wine/no red wine?) let alone my dogs. However, with the recent tragic deaths of many pets linked to the food they ate, I know that this is one topic that is important to get right. Also, living in a multi-dog household, with new dogs coming in all the time as fosters, good behavior and training is also key.

The Whole Dog Journal is a wonderful resource for people trying to sort through these issues and hoping to do the best for their pet in the most natural and healthful way possible. The monthly guide is dedicated to providing the latest info on natural dog care and training. Regular articles in the journal include information on behavior and training, nutrition, health and care.

Supplementing the printed journal is a great website with even more information on the subjects found in the journal as well as topics ranging from puppies to senior dogs, problem solving and a blog.

The Whole Dog Journal advocates raw feeding, but realizes that this may not be the best answer for every family with a dog. Recently they mailed me a supplement to their journal entitled, "Top Dog Foods for Total Wellness". This mini-guide talks about the importance of food in relation to your dog's health, and also recommends the best foods available at local pet supply stores whether they eat kibble or soft food. (I was happy to find the kibble that I feed my canine kids listed!!)

Optionally, they offer several books for purchase on their website (both by hard copy and downloadable onto your computer) on subjects such as feeding your dog, puppy training, and solving such problems as separation anxiety or teaching your dog how to greet people properly.

Topics in this month's October issue include: senior dog hearing loss, bone marrow transplants in dogs, understanding canine aggression, and carbohydrates in kibble. A yearly subscription runs $20 with two years for $30. Since each individual issue is $5.95, then buying a subscription certainly makes sense. As a Whole Dog Journal subscriber, you are also entitled to all the back issues via the WDJ website for free. For me and my pack, I need all the help and advice I can get. Along with frequent consultation from my favorite veterinarian, this is definitely some quality reading that I don't want to miss!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment